In the realm of natural skincare, sea buckthorn oil has emerged as a powerful ingredient, renowned for its numerous benefits. Extracted from the berries and seeds of the sea buckthorn plant, this vibrant golden-orange oil has gained popularity due to its exceptional healing and rejuvenating properties.
What Exactly is Sea Buckthorn
Sea buckthorn, scientifically known as Hippophae Rhamnoides, is a deciduous shrub native to Europe and Asia. It has a long history of medicinal use, with its berries and leaves being utilized in traditional systems of medicine for their various health benefits. The plant's small, nutrient-rich berries are a powerhouse of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids, making them an ideal ingredient for skincare and healthcare. In fact, when I visited Western Ukraine in 2019 I had the pleasure of drinking Sea Buckthorn tea on multiple occasions.
6 Benefits of Using Sea Buckthorn Oil in Skincare
- Rich in antioxidants: Sea buckthorn oil is loaded with antioxidants, including vitamins A, C, and E, and carotenoids. These antioxidants help protect the skin from free radical damage, reduce inflammation, and promote youthful-looking skin. A study published in the International Journal of Molecular Sciences demonstrated that the antioxidants in sea buckthorn oil help protect the skin against harmful UV radiation and reduce the oxidative damage caused by sun exposure.
- Nourishes and hydrates: The oil's high content of essential fatty acids, such as omega-3, -6, -7, and -9, helps to moisturize and nourish the skin. It supports the skin's natural barrier function, improving moisture retention and enhancing overall hydration.
- Promotes skin regeneration: Sea buckthorn oil is known for its ability to boost the skin's regenerative processes as demonstrated by research published by the Journal of Wound Care. The research showed that the oil’s high concentration of vitamins accelerated the healing process, reduced inflammation and promoted tissue regeneration. It stimulates cell turnover, aiding in the healing of wounds, scars, and sun damage.
- Anti-aging properties: The oil's potent antioxidants and essential fatty acids work together to combat signs of aging. They help reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots, while improving skin elasticity and firmness.
- Soothes and calms: Sea buckthorn oil possesses anti-inflammatory properties that can help soothe and calm irritated skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, and rosacea. It aids in reducing redness and promoting a healthier, more balanced complexion.
- Enhances skin tone and brightness: Regular use of sea buckthorn oil can help promote a more even skin tone and restore a youthful radiance. The oil's high concentration of vitamins and antioxidants aids in reducing hyperpigmentation, dark spots, and discoloration caused by sun damage or aging. By supporting the skin's natural renewal process, sea buckthorn oil can gradually improve overall skin brightness, leaving you with a healthier and more luminous complexion.
How to use Sea Buckthorn Oil
You have a couple of options here. 1) You can buy pure organic sea buckthorn oil and use it as a spot treatment on your skin (on acne, eczema, acne scar, etc) 2) you can blend it with your moisturizer or 3) you can look for skincare products that include it. Buying a product that has already incorporated it may be most beneficial as the product would likely be formulated with the right amount of each ingredient for you to get the best results. Of course when it’s blended with other ingredients it’s hard to tell which ingredient(s) your skin is reacting positively (or negatively to).
Sea Buckthorn Oil in Avoila Nourishing Face Oil
We chose to include Organic Sea Buckthorn Oil in our Avoila Nourishing Face Oil formula due to all of the amazing benefits it can provide - and, since we both have different skin types (sensitive and acne prone) we knew its beneftis could help both of us.